Due to the ever-changing nature of client server updates, please contact support for free via email or by phone.
Client/Server Setup Instructions
Client/Server is more secure and is much less prone to data corruption. Only the server accesses the data so if it is in good working order you will not see any data corruption. The workstations access it only via the server. To set up client/server.
- You need the client/server software from the pulldown above. You will also need the Database System Utilities. Run this install on your server as well.
- Next, create a directory on your server and share it. Place the clientserver.ini file into that folder (Download a copy of the clientserver.ini file). Open the clientserver.ini file with notepad (right-click it and select Open With… then choose Notepad), and change the IP address to the one on your host PC.To check your IP address click the Windows Start button then choose Control Panel (you may need to select Settings, then Control Panel). Double click Network Connections. In the dialog that opens double-click your network connection. In the dialog that opens click the Support tab which displays your IP address (Note: this is the IP address for the PC, not necessarily its IP for the Internet.).
- You will also need to copy your reports folder from your current data directory (The default location is C:\Channergy\Data) to this new folder as well as the attached temporary license files, if applicable.
- On your server, click the Windows Start button and select All Programs -> DBISAM Additional Software and Utilities -> Server Administration Utility.
- In the window that opens choose File -> Login to Server. When prompted enter Admin as the User Name and DBAdmin as the password.
- Click the Server tab. Change the following:
v Connection Timeout: 3600
v Dead Session Cleanup: 30
v Dead Session Expiration: 120
- Click the Databases tab and then the Add button. In the Name field that appears type Channergy. Browse to the directory that contains your Channergy data, then click Save (Note: You must name the database Channergy).
- Click the Users tab and add as many users as you wish.
- Click the Database Users tab and then click Add at the bottom. Select one of the users you added from the pulldown that lights up. Check all the Rights to Grant and click Save. Repeat this for all users.
- Close the Server Administration Utility.
- Run Channergy and click File -> New Company from the text menu. Give the company a name and browse to the directory that contains the clientserver.ini file. Click OK. You must do this at each PC in your network that runs Channergy. You can switch between your old company (which is direct access to the database) and the client/server company anytime you wish. In order to ensure client/server is running exclusively (and thus verify the database errors are due to network trouble) everyone must be pointed to the client/server company. Please be careful when testing that not a single pc is directly linked to the database. You may wish to remove sharing on the data directory temporarily to ensure this.
- To log in at each PC choose File -> Open Company and select the new company. You will be prompted to enter your User ID and password you created in step 7 above. If you have Channergy security turned on you will be prompted to log in to Channergy as well. If you are not prompted to log in to client/server try using File -> Open Company and selecting the new company again.
For multiple companies:
- Create a new database in the server admin utility, then
- Create a separate folder for each company with its own clientserver.ini and,
- Name the RemoteDatabase above to the same name as the db you created.
- For all folders include a reports and tools folder to store reports and script shortcuts.
- Scripts are stored in the same folder as the clientserver.ini file