How to Create Purchase Orders
- To access the Purchase Orders feature click on the Purchase Orders icon in the Inventory menu on the Channergy Explorer
- This will bring up the Purchase Order screen.
- To create a new purchase order click on the button.
- Select the Supplier from the Vendor drop down list. The list is populated from the Suppliers table.
- The Vendor Name & Address fields are populated from the Suppliers table. These are editable and can be changed if the vendor information is different.
- The ship to address depends on the source of the Purchase Order.
- By default the ship to address information is pulled from the Company Info tab under Tools->;Preferences.
- If the Purchase Order is a Drop Ship then the ship to address comes from the original order.
- You can set up multiple receiving addresses for orders that are not Drop Ship orders by selecting the Setup at the top of the Purchase Order screen.
- This will bring up the Receiving Address Setup screen.
- To add a new receiving address click on the button and key in the address information in the fields.
- If you want to delete a receiving address select the address you want to delete and click on the button.
- When done adding multiple receiving address information click on the button.
- To select an alternate receiving address click on the button next to the Ship To field. This will show a list of the addresses to select from
- Select the address from the list and the selected address will be added to the ship to address fields.
- Add any optional messages to the vendor in the Message field.
- Add any FOB/Instructions to the FOB/Instructions
- You can select the Required Dt from the mini calendar that pops up when the is clicked.
- You can select the Expected Dt from the mini calendar that pops up when the is clicked.
- To add products to the purchase order, select the product field from the grid and start typing the product you want to add to the PO and the product list will start searching through the Products table to find a match.
NOTE: If you products database is large, you may want to use the Product Search feature to select your products. Instead of keying in the Product No into the grid directly, press the F2 key and you will get the following screen.
- You can add all the products to the Purchase Order from this menu.
- Select the products you want to add to the PO using the Product Number, Description or Long Description fields and click the button.
- You can also use the full text search option by keying in text tin the Full Text Search field and clicking on the button next to the Full Text Search field. This option will search in the ProductNo, Description, Long Description and the Name fields for the text.
- Select the Product you want to add to the purchase order from the product grid.
- Key in the quantity you want to order in the Quantity To Add field
- Click on the button.
- When you are done adding products to the purchase order, click on the button to close the Product Search screen.
- If you get either a percentage discount or a currency discount you can key them in to the Percent or Amount fields.
- If you key in a percentage the software will automatically compute the equivalent discount amount.
- You can also key in the amount directly into the item grid.
- If you need to delete an item from the list, select the item from the grid and click on the button.
- Once you have completed adding products you can either print the Purchase Order from the Reports menu or Email the the Purchase Order to your supplier.
UNDER THE HOOD: The Purchase Order system uses the following tables: PO,POItems,Products,Suppliers and optionally the ProductSuppliers table if your products have multiple suppliers and the Items table if the PO is a drop ship PO. When a new PO is created, a new record is added to the PO table, the PONo field is an autoincremented value that is added to the table. The SupplierNo field is populated when the Supplier is selected from the Vendor drop down list. The Vendor drop down list is populated from the Suppliers table. The Date field is automatically populated from the computers system date. The ProductAmt,ShipAmt,TaxAmt and OtherAmt are populated from the Orders table if the PO is a drop ship PO. The TotalAmt field is the total amount of the purchase order including any discounts that may have been applied. The ExpectDt, PaidAmt, InternalNote(P.O. Number on the Purchase Order screen),PrintNote1 (FOB), PrintNote2(Message), Terms and RequiredDt fields are populated from the Purchase Orders screen. The ShipCompany,ShipContact,ShipAddress1,ShipAddress2,ShipCity, ShipState, ShipZip are populated from the company information stored in Tools->;Preferences Company Info tab for normal purchase orders or from the order shipping address information if the purchase order is a drop ship order. The IsDropShip field is set to True if the order is a DS order otherwise it is blank. The DropShipOrderNo is the order number that the drop ship originated from. The SubtotalAmt is the sum of the products ordered not including any discounts, the DiscountAmt is the sum of any discounts and the ItemsAmt is the total of the PO with discounts.
Note: The InternalNote field in the PO table is used to store the PO number or optionally the Drop Ship PO number. Drop Ship PO numbers are in the form PONo-OrderNo where PONo is the next incremental PO number and OrderNo is the Order Number where the PO came from.
When a product is added to the POItems table the PONo is copied from the PO that is being edited and the ItemNo field is an autoincremented field. When either the product drop down or the F2 product search screen is activated the only products that are shown are those assigned to the Supplier that is selected. When a product is added the ProductNo and Description data are pulled from the Products table. The Ordered is the quantity ordered from the PO item grid and the ExpectedDt is pulled from the PO table. The CostAmt is the Supplier Cost from either the Products table if multiple suppliers are not used or the ProductSuppliers table if multiple suppliers are used. The TotlAmt is the quantity ordered multiplied by the unit cost (including any discounts). The SupplierNo field is copied from the PO table and the ProductSuppliersNo field is the foreign key link to the ProductSuppliers table. The ManufacturerID, SupplierProductNo, SupplierDescription and UnitDescription are populated from either the Products or the ProductSuppliers table depending on if multiple suppliers are used. The BreakdownQty and SupplierMinQty are populated from the ProductSuppliers table. The DropShipOrderNo and DropShipItemNo are the item number and order number foreign keys if the purchase order is a drop ship PO. The DiscountPct is the dicount percentage and the DiscountAmt is the amount of the discount either computed from the DiscountPct or entered in the products grid. The DiscountTotalAmt is the DiscountAmt multiplied by the number of products ordered and the TotalCostAmt is the Unit Cost of the product including any discounts.