Multiple (Installment) Payments
Channergy includes a Multiple Payments feature. You can use this feature to simply apply payments to orders, enter credits etc. You can also schedule future payments, apply Gift Certificates, enter Purchase Orders, COD’s, Billing options and more.
Note: Before beginning we recommend you switch to the sample company database. To do so open Channergy. Click File then Open Company on the text menu. In the dialog that appears select Sample Database and click OK.
Entering Multiple Payments
Open or create a new order, then click the Payment tab (or hold Alt and press N on your keyboard). Then:
- Click on the New… Payment button.
- Select the New Payment option. Note: When entering the first payment on an order you do not need to select the New Payment option first.
- Enter the payment data in the fields provided as described below:
- Click on the pull down button next to the Method field to open the payment options menu. Choose the payment method for this invoice. If it was paid for with a credit card select Credit. Additional methods include: Check, Cash, COD, PO, Bill, Invoice, and Gift Cert. Or, you can type anything you wish and press the Tab key.
- Note: Some payment methods (PO, Bill and Invoice) do not apply a payment. When you receive a payment you can return to the order and enter a new payment to record the actual amount received. (See instructions below for applying payments)
- In the Date field enter the date of the payment in the format mmddyyyy or simply accept today’s date which is entered for you automatically.
- Tip: You can enter a future “due date” in this field and charge the customer later (See instructions below for Multiple Billing Amounts). You can also create a report that lists payments to be charged when their due date arrives.
- Click on the pull down button next to the Action field to choose whether this is a payment (Sale) or a refund/void etc. (Credit). Note: When entering a credit be sure to enter the Amount field as a negative number (e.g., -$1000). Negative amounts are displayed in ().
- In the Amount field enter the dollar amount of this payment. Or, accept the total dollar amount that is automatically entered for you.
- In the Number field enter the credit card number, check number, PO number etc. used for this payment.
- In the Expiration Date field, if applicable, enter the month and year of the expiration date of the credit card used for this payment in the format mmyy. The / will be entered for you automatically.
- If you have set up your credit card software to work with Channergy the Authorize button can be used to obtain an approval from your credit card services provider. A dialog will open so you can verify the information to be sent is correct. You can also enter a different card holder name if necessary.
- Click the Send button and wait for your credit card software to process the charge. The Approval # and Amount Paid will be entered for you when the credit card is approved.
- Note: The Authorize button approves only the currently selected payment. To approve multiple, or different payments first select them by clicking the Payment button and choose List Payments from the menu. Then double click the payment you wish to authorize.
- If you do not use the Authorize button to approve a payment you can enter anything you wish into the Approval # field. Note: The Approval # field must be filled to complete a payment and update the Paid field.
- Note: Any character may be used as an Approval number. For example, the date a check was written may be used as the approval number of a check payment. This provides a record of the check date, in addition to the received date as stored in the payment date field.
OPTIONAL: Click on the Payment button and select the Save Payment option when you are done. Note: You do not need to save the payment. It will be saved automatically when you save the current order, or add a new order.
To view a list of payments on this invoice click the Payment button then select List Payments from the pull down menu. You can double click any payment to open it in the Payment tab.
Once entered payments cannot be deleted (to ensure reliable accounting tracking). You can however enter another payment to reverse the incorrect one (e.g., an erroneously entered sale of $100 can be reversed with a credit of ($100).
When you select a Method of Credit for a customer who has purchased from you in the past the last credit card number used is automatically filled in for you.
If you do not see the payment method you wish to use in the Method pull down list you can simply type whatever you wish and press the Tab key. Advanced Note: The default reports in Channergy may need to be edited to display these payment types.
Payment information is stored in a special Payment table in the Channergy database. The last payment method is also stored in the Order table. This means the last payment method will be the one shown on invoices and various reports.
REMINDER: The Authorize button approves only the currently selected payment. To approve multiple, or different payments first select them by clicking the Payment button and choose List Payments from the menu. Then double click the payment you wish to authorize.
REMINDER: The Approval # field must be entered for all payments before Channergy will enter the amount paid for you. You can use the approval number from your credit card authorization, your initials, an X or anything you choose.
To enter multiple Bill, PO or Invoice amounts follow the steps below:
- Select New Payment from the Payment button menu.
- Enter the Amount field first.
- Select a Method of Bill, PO or Invoice.
- Enter the Number field if applicable.
- Enter a due date in the Date field.
- Repeat the above steps for each payment.
- You can return to the order at anytime to apply payments as they are received. See below.
To apply payments received at a later date:
- Open the order for the received payment.
- Click the Payment button on the Payments tab and select New Payment.
- Select the appropriate payment method (usually Check).
- Enter the Amount of the check and the check Number.
- OPTIONAL: Click the Payment button on the Payments tab and select Save Payment.